Abano Terme - The Carabinieri have arrested a man known to the police who is alleged to have brutally abused his partner. He had previously tried to cover up the crime with a made-up story about a robbery.
At around 10:30 on Thursday morning, the man called the 118 emergency services himself, saying that his partner had been attacked by strangers the day before and now needed help. When a Carabinieri patrol arrived at the apartment in the southern province of Padua, the young woman had already been taken to hospital in Monselice.
The man described the alleged incident to the officers in hesitant words. According to him, his girlfriend had been attacked by two men the day before in front of a household goods store while she was waiting for him. He himself had put the attackers to flight. When asked why he had not called the police or an ambulance immediately, he gave evasive answers. The injuries didn't look that bad at first, he said, and it was only in the morning that his girlfriend complained of severe pain.
The truth came to light in hospital
But while the man was telling the carabinieri his story, the true tragedy was revealed at the hospital. The young woman plucked up courage and told the doctors what had really happened: it was not strangers but her own partner who had beaten her up badly that night. The carabinieri from the local station were called and took down her detailed statement.
According to the report, the violence had already begun the previous evening. In a fit of raging jealousy, the man is said to have first threatened and then beaten his partner. It was apparently not the first time. The woman reported repeated abuse over the past year, even during her pregnancy. The man was then handcuffed. He will have to answer for abuse, grievous bodily harm and serious threats. The investigation into the case is ongoing.




















